Application Process for Kindergarten
Enrolments for Kindergarten 2020 are still open!
Thank you for your interest in applying to the Sydney Japanese International School.
Please note, there are a few legal conditions that prospective students must meet in order to be eligible for enrolment at SJIS.
It is a requirement of the school that ALL Kindergarten children must turn 5 years of age by 31st of July of the commencement year.
It is a requirement of the school that families have the correct visas to legally live, work or study in Australia. The school does not accept applicants on a tourist visa.
In order to be considered for a place in Kindergarten at SJIS, prospective families will need to lodge a completed application form and pay an application fee. Prospective families will then be invited to SJIS for a short assessment of school readiness.
Summary of Enrolment Procedure
- Read the Enrolment Terms & Conditions and Submit the International Division Enrolment Form to [email protected]
- Complete the payment of the application fee for registration to the waiting list. Await notification for an assessment.
- Have an assessment with the Head of the International Division.
- Following a successful assessment, enrolment forms and Conditions of Entry will be sent. All nominated fees need to be paid at this time.
- Participate in Kindergarten orientation to be held in October the year prior to commencement.
- Start Kindergarten with the official Entrance Ceremony in January of the new year.
Kindergarten commences in January each year.
ALL children MUST turn five years of age by the 31st of July of the commencing year.
Parents must have the appropriate and accepted visas to legally live and work in Australia before applying for entry for their child. This includes, but is not limited to: Business visas, research visa, parent and student visa. Those on a tourist visa are not eligible to apply.
When to apply?
SJIS accepts applications from birth through to the year prior to commencing, depending on availability. The school’s open days are a wonderful opportunity to learn more about the school before applying.
SJIS accepts kindergarten students of any language ability. It is not imperative that a child speaks English or Japanese for acceptance into Kindergarten. Students will be taught language foundations throughout the kindergarten year. SJIS provides a safe and nurturing environment for children to pick up the necessary language foundations and conventions to excel in their continued education.
About the Assessment (interview)
SJIS conducts a simple assessment for all Kindergarten applications. This is with the Head of the International Division, and the main aim is to assess school readiness. Children will be given simple questions and instructions. This assessment is not to measure a child’s academic ability, so no preparation is required. There is an interpreter available if English is not the first language.
Register for our next OPEN DAY